Sunday, September 6, 2009

Blue Sky July

I first heard of Blue Sky July from Jacolyn over at Lieck Triplets. I started and finished reading it on the train to and from Chicago.

From the publisher:
"Set between the summers of 1998 and 2005 in Cardiff, Wales, Blue Sky July f
ollows the story of a mother whose child suffers a devastating brain injury. It traces her journey into a world hidden away in society’s pockets as she battles against impossible odds to heal him.

Through her intimate day by day musings, the book explores the impact of the tragedy on her home life, love life, friendships and connection to the world, as the most extraordinary relationship unfolds between them.
"

I thought Nia Wyn's poetic writing style was incredibly beautiful. Her style made the book a very easy read, but I found myself going back to re-read excerpts then closing the book to absorb what I had just read. She does a lovely job of describing the mother-child relationship.

Nia Wyn chronicles her quest to find anything that will help her son. Along the way she found many things including physiotherapy, speech therapy, Reiki, patterning, cranial osteopathy, healers, herbalists, massage, and conductive education. It is not a 'scientific' book by any means, and is not focused on the 'technical' aspects of CP or any of the treatment methods used.

If you have some time at the weekend, I'd encourage you to pick up a copy of this book for yourself.

2 comments:

  1. A review of this book by a parent with a disabled child has been published in the final issue of RACE and presents an alternative view to yours. If you would like a copy, please let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this book (as you know :) I also reread and reflected often. I want to read it again but I can't remember who I gave it to. Hmmm...I need to find it.
    Jacolyn

    ReplyDelete